Art in the Albemarle Area - By Talmage Dunn

November!! What a wonderful month, the colors have changed on all the leaves, there is a cool crispness in the air, and arts and craft fairs abound! Everyone is getting ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is one of the favorite times of the year to be an artist and craftsman. If the opportunity arises please take the time to support our local artists and craftsmen at the myriad of fairs and shows in our area.
In this issue I would like to continue addressing the concept of Artists Trading Cards (ATCs). ATCs are very popular as miniature pieces of fine art. If do a search, you will find that there are competitions on these minis. There are some studios that will be offering classes on making and trading ATCs. I will be covering one such class for the month of December. I put an ATC along with any work that I ship or trade. I also have a few to give away when I go to art shows or with work I may happen to sell.
Along with making ATCs I would like to address anotherv area of art, especially of interest at this time of year, painting your own greeting cards. Of course, you can go out and buy a kit of cards. In that kit you will get blanks to paint on (watercolors, acrylics, or whatever medium you choose to use), tape to attach to the folded card, and an envelope.
I like to save a little of my coin so I make my own cards.
          1. I cut my watercolor/acrylic paper or board to a 4” x 6” size.
          2. I then proceed to tape it on a stiff board or card stock (only cover about 1/8” of the card, this is the border).
          3. I then proceed to create my painting. This can be watercolor or acrylic. Sometimes I even add a bit of glitter.
          4. I then cut a piece of card stock or watercolor paper to a size that will hold my painted card, (I use a 5” x 6” piece of stock)
          5. I attach my painted card to the folded paper using double sided tape.
          6. Inscribe a verse, a note, or something of meaning to the one receiving the card.
          7. Send it off!

You will have hours of fun making your own greeting cards. It is relaxing and illuminating. It becomes an act of putting something of yourself into a card especially painted for someone near and dear to you. If you have never done this before, I encourage you to get yourself a kit, (usually you have to go on-line or to an art store), break out your paints and have fun!!
I have included, as an example, an autumn leaves card that I painted. This painting took me about an hour to paint and then another fifteen minutes or so to place on the card. As with any other project, your first time will be a challenge. However, the more you paint them, the faster and better you will get. Don't rush.... have fun with this project!
Don't forget the First Friday Art Walk in Elizabeth City. Also, check out the art classes offered in and around your county.
Feel free to contact me by e-mail bowhuntor@yahoo.com or by phone 252-267-5437. Talmage Dunn, Artist.

Art in the Albemarle Area - By Talmage Dunn Art in the Albemarle Area - By Talmage Dunn Reviewed by kensunm on 7:00:00 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Copyright AlbemarleTradewinds. Theme images by merrymoonmary. Powered by Blogger.